Sunday, May 22, 2005

Success

It is common knowledge that I am not going to win "Father of the Year" any time soon. I am comfortable with that. But tonight I was good. This evening was a success.

There is a silly little tradition that the wives in our care group have. "Birthday Dinner" is it's title, but it amounts to dumping the kids on a group of overworked dad's and pretending like they were in college again. It happens on a Sunday evening once a month and it happened tonight. I know they flirt with the waiter, order more than they will eat and gossip about their beloved over worked husbands. I can promise you that the guys have never celebrated "Birthday Dinner" together. The thought of that sounds kinda weird.

The flip side of this tradition is that the guys take the kids to McDonald's for chicken nuggets and playland. Nutrition and exercise all in a 40 minute dinner. Tonight the group was small, but we were strong. Ferguson and his daughter Alyssa, Scott, Cayden and the twins and myself with Blake and Anna. 3 Adults, 6 kids, 3 under the age of 3 months. To be brief, let me just say it was huge success. Everyone got to eat and crying was controlled. Once I got home with the kids I began bath time with Blake and got Anna ready for bed. Sharla strolled in around 9 p.m. and began to quiz me on the specific events of the evening. Scott Meyer, good job tonight. Cayden did really good. Ferguson, thanks for your help. You have a great daughter. Blake was on his best behavior tonight and Anna slept the entire time. Wives.... - never mind. Tonight was a success.

8 comments:

simplegestures said...

Whatever Bundy...So no child had 3 large glasses of strawberry milk and drove real fast with you??
Lane

simplegestures said...

My wife is so typically...you do somebody a favor and get chastised for starting the child on a lifelong addiction to pink milk.

I share your plight...we in Austin call it "Mary and Martha's Night Out" (whatever). Once a month the girls go to some fancy restaurant and stay out until all hours (at least 9pm) and we're left to fend for ourselves on a Friday night...dog tired, overworked, etc, etc.

This month, my wife after having been on vacation at Pepperdine for a week has a "Mary and Martha" night and Bailey decides to throw up his chocolate milk all over our new house, and of course Allyson is screaming bloody murder at the site while Lane is out having fun. Oh the things we do for love, but I guess that is what it's all about? Wouldn't trade it for the world...

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that the very first time I succumb to commenting on a blog it has to be yours, but you leave me no choice! After much thought, I have decided that you are absolutely right! I have just told Brian how very sorry I am for leaving OUR 2 children that HE helped make once a month for a "silly" dinner, for allowing him personal bonding time without me around, and for always coming home at such outrageous hours at 9pm. It has got to be at the top of selfishness! We (all 10 of us) will PROMISE to do one BETTER in the future. In fact, how about an entire weekend away? That was the talk this past "Birthday Dinner" And in case you were wondering, God invented this thing called a breast pump, just for wonderful Dad's like you who would LOVE for their precious wives to be able to just get away!!!! Let me know what you think! You know there's hardly a more fun person for me to battle with than you!! :) DANA

Anonymous said...

I must say that I really like this "birthday dinner" idea.. even more so Dana's idea of "birthday weekend". I will tell Dave to thank you personally, Byron, for complaining about this so that I could have a new outing. You are such a special friend. I'm sure he will agree! (ha ha)
Dana, if you read this, I missed you when I had Kinlie Grace. The nurse was nice, but it was not the same. Keely is going to turn three on Saturday!
Love,
Karise

Jana said...

And to think that your wife does this EVERY DAY...

Anonymous said...

Whatever! I can't think of anything nice to say right now so I will come back to this later!

J-Wild said...

Bundy if you made more money then you could have a nanny so you wouldn't have to take care of your kids 12 times a year. You know perhaps it's the fact that I live in New York and buy mesclun lettuce (follow the link to educate yourself), but McDonalds hardly passes as nutrition...haven't you seen "Super Size Me?"

I can imagine that Sharla was soooo grateful for your tremendous sacrifice that she couldn't keep her hands off of you when she got home. She was probably like "It's only 9:15...still early...if you know what I mean!" Of course you being so tired and all the last thing on your mind was a little lovin, and I bet you felt like she had no idea what you had just been through at McDonalds. In fact I bet you felt a little upset. You know it kind of ticks me off just thinking about it...how dare she!

Anonymous said...

Byron -- you have some very mean friends!