Monday, November 07, 2005

Random Things of Life

Football - 4 and 6 with the Varsity with only 2 district wins. At times we looked really good and at other times it was really frustrating. The Sophomore team that I help coach did really well. 7 - 0 for an overall record this season. The guys on that team were a lot of fun to coach. The defense only allowed 20 points to be scored on them the entire season. We had a good time on Thursday nights.

The family went to HEB tonight to drop off some film and then headed to the local McD's for some gourmet dessert. Blake loves playing in the playland, which is really cool at this McD's. It did not take long before I was contorting my lanky body all through those plastic tubes of filth, but Blake loves it. I am glad I can move around in there with him. It is even better when a few of the football players from school who work there come out and watch. Who would have known that being a dad would be so much fun.

Sharla challenged me today. She should know better than to do this, but she did it. I am not a sexist, but I freely admit that girls are better at a few things than boys, and boys are better at a few more things than girls. The challenge - Lincoln Logs. Blake was given a set of Lincoln Logs by Coach Simmons at the junior high. Blake has been too young to understand the complexity of these toys, but Shar got them out today as a last ditch effort. She then began to have trouble understanding the age old rules of the Lincoln Log. The challenge took place when I got home; "bet you can't get the roof on" she said with her smug arrogance. 10 minutes later Blake had watched me build a fort, pen for the animals and roof on the house, with the attaching smoke stack. Lincoln Logs - it's a guy thing - don't question us.

3 comments:

J-Wild said...

"The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things." - Clifton Fadiman

Hey man, would love to read your comments on this topic.

Sarah said...

Lincoln Logs are definitely a built-in guy thing. I would have to study the diagram to build Riley's fence while he built the fort, complete with windows and doors.

I don't doubt that you're a natural! :-)

Anonymous said...

Amen to the Lincoln Log thing! Ryan builds a great farm complete with house, barn, fences and garage while I am working hard on my tall, square house. What is it with those things? I can do windows though. Sharla, I guess this is one thing he wins at. Nice of you to give him this one thing.