Monday, April 16, 2007

Virginia Tech

A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech in the United States on Monday, killing at least 32 people in the deadliest shooting massacre in U.S. history.

The above quote from The Daily Telegraph linked on Google news is astonishing. How? Why? Who Would? These questions are everywhere, but they are not the thoughts racing in my head. I remember my college days and I try to consider how this would have thrown the campus into a state of disbelief and confusion. I think of the fact that 32 phone calls were made to families informing them that their child, student had been shot and is now dead. How do you relay or receive that news in any form of calm or reasonable manner?

I feel very sad for the loss of life in Virginia today, but I know that tragedies like this happen all around the world all too often. It scares me that the things we hear about in other corners of the world are coming here, to the place I have always considered safe, and different.

No comments: