Friday, August 22, 2008

August 22

I was at football practice during our mid morning workout. I was in the middle of a secondary drill when Linda Hable, the athletic secretary at Belton High came running out the door. "Byron, you have to go home right now!!!" I got in my truck and flew to the house only to find Shar walking the kitchen and living room, anxiously awaiting my arrival. We went to Kings Daughters and checked in. The first room we were in seemed like an old closet and the nurse had just returned from a 30 year stint at the local prison. It was not an ideal situation in my mind, but once nurse Dana got there then those minor problems melted away. We were calling the families and checking the monitors and waiting for the right moment. Dr. Furman was so comforting to us and so kind in the way she treating Shar. When the action finally came, Ron and Diana were waiting outside, and my parents and sister in California were on the phone on a conference call. Shar was working so hard and doing such a great job, and then there was nothing... no sound or cry or anything.... just silence. Dr. Furman quickly went from calm physician to actively working for life. "The cord is around his neck" she said to Dana, and instantly the room was filled with nurses. When I looked over the sheet that was covering Shar I saw a little boy, but he was an odd shade of grey and was not making the noises that I was expecting, and then blood shot across the room and across my shirt. Then a baby screamed and Dr. Furman smiled and I cried as I watched my son take his first breath. It was amazing to see the hand of God that close.

Today my boy turns 5 and I am in awe at how beautifully and wonderfully he is made. It is just a pure joy to be his father and see his life unfold. I will never forget that first day, but the days to follow have been such a blessing to me that I want to remember them all. Blake is having his birthday party tomorrow, but today is his day, he just doesn't know it. Blake spent his birthday at my scrimmage against the Hebron Hawks at Hebron High in Lewisville. He was on the field tonight serving as the assistant to the ball boy, his 12 year old buddy Davis, and Blake loved every minute of it.

Dear son. It is so wonderful to be your father and I want you to know that your mother and I love you so very much. I hope you life is filled with joy and happiness. I pray that God will use you in mighty ways for the Kingdom and that you will be a faithful servant. You are a wonderful son, and loving brother and a joy to our life and I love. May the Lord bless you and keep you.

4 comments:

April said...

Seriously Bryon that was really moving...can you believe it's been 5 years? You are a great dad!

Alyssa said...

Happy Birthday Blake! He is so blessed to have such wonderful parents... we love you guys!

Sarah said...

Well that made me cry! So thankful that Blake has you and Sharla as parents to lead him on the Path. I know he is a blessing to you, too. What a precious! Happy Birthday, Blake!

J-Wild said...

Happy birthday blake!!