Monday, August 11, 2008

Fast and Furious

We have had a busy but great last few weeks. Here are some highlights that are worth remembering for our family.

1. Blake and Anna Jo were in a wedding this past weekend. Big Blake (Holt) and Kelly were the couple that was meant to be married when they began dating in high school. Blake was the all American boy and Kelly was the beautiful cheerleader. Such a great couple, and it was a joy to see them commit to each other for life. Little Blake and Anna Jo were the flower girl and ring boy and they did a great job. The groomsmen and bridesmaids took great care of them and they both just acted perfect. It was a blast. While at the wedding and rehearsal, it was great to be with the boys that I got to coach at Belton in the mid 2000's (is that how you say that?). Blake, Broods, Zacha, Mitch, Dunn, Street and the rest were all good boys then, and have turned into great young men ready to graduate from college and conqueror the world.

2. While in Temple I just have to take the boat out. Lane Smith and his boys along with Blake and Ethan all went for a final ski day before I get lost in football. The big guys all skied and the boys all tubed, and then I wanted to get Blake up on skis. Lane was in the water with him and Cole was holding the rope and Blake skied for about 200 yards. It was awesome!!! He looks so good back there, he really likes it. After to more good runs he took his break, but I was so proud of him. This was just his second time to ski, once earlier in the summer with my sister and her family, and he has really improved.

3. Shar and her mom, whom I love, made curtains this weekend, so when we got home at 11 on Sunday night Shar was all ready to try and hang curtains. I talked her out of it for the evening, but on my break from practice today, while the other coaches were resting, I was hanging curtains in the kitchen. Lots of fun for me. I am really thankful that my wife is so talented to make stuff like that. She really is good.

4. Blake told me today during my lunch break that I work too much. Hard words for a dad to hear right before the busy season in the job, and I know that Blake is saying things that he really does not fully understand, but he is beginning to understand when I am away and when I am home, and I want to be sure and impress upon him, and Anna Jo and Shar that they are the real priority in my like and that work is down the line a ways.

5. Western Hills Church seems to be in a really good, healthy place right now. God is blessing the faithful there and it is obvious to see. We miss that church. We do love Richland Hills, but we miss Western Hills. Maybe we will just go to churches that have "hills" in the name.

6. I love the Olympics!!! I could watch it all day long, but I have to go to work. I am sure you are all watching it, and I won't tell you anything new, but I love the Olympics. Good job China.

7. My parents call us a lot, and that is good, but they have not called in the last few days. I think they went on a cruise to Alaska with their best friends from the days before Vietnam, the Specks from Tennessee. Have fun in Alaska mom and dad.

1 comment:

Mindy B said...

Hey! i know the Speck's too! They are awesome, and I bet your parents and them are hilarious to hang out with!
Chris and I are watching too much of the Olympics right now b/c we are losers and have no jobs to go to. So, don't feel too bad about working; it's much better than not. However, watching table tennis in the middle of the day is a luxury not many people can say they have!!!! We are so lucky! ha ha! I only lasted about 30 seconds with the table tennis and had to go find something else to do. I can't believe that is a real sport. What do you think, Coach? Is it a sport if there's no sweating or exercise involved?
-Mindy