Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Weekend Rambling

Happy Memorial Day Dad.  I am forever grateful for you willing sacrifice to do what you did, from 1966 through 1991.  Your service, in peace times and in times of war, and those who do the same, before and after you, is one of our countries greatest strengths and we should be aware of the sacrifices of the American Soldier, and their families.

This has been my best year in teaching World War 1 and World War 2.  I am not a great teacher, but this year I did my best in teaching these two amazing historical events.  The kids in my classes were impacted by the things we discussed in school, and that is something to note in public education these days.  

But at the same time I am still amazed at the overwhelming waste of life and resources that takes place in war.  I am not discussing or arguing the need for war, only the enormous cost of life and the amazing destruction of resources.  

It bothers me because there were great men and women from W.W, 1 and W.W. 2, Korea, Vietnam, Dessert Storm, and today in the Middle East, who did amazing things, and those things are already forgotten.  Just like there were amazing men and women at Thermopylae, Carthage, and Mesopotamia who did amazing things for their countries.  Nearly all are forgotten.  This is how life is.  We work and fight and bleed and die to protect and hold dear what we have now, and trust the future into the hands of the unborn, to carry on the same, or a greater legacy.  

If you have a chance to thank a American Veteran who served their country at some point in recent history, please do so.  The gratitude received now for heroic things that they did as young men is appreciated, and rightfully deserved.  

I stopped a Korean Veteran today and shook his hand, said thank you and told him I was glad he made it home.  He could not speak back to me.  Tears came to his eyes and he walked on.  

Do something this week to make some one's life a little better.

No comments: