Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Armistice

The signing of the declaration to officially end World War 1 takes place on 11-11-1918 at the 11 hour. It was the end of The Great War and it signified the desire for the world to be at peace and never enter such a conflict again. The League of Nations was born out of that war, which eventually turned into the United Nations, although the original was a near failure from it's beginning. Armistice Day does not become Veterans Day until Jimmy Carter in the late 1970's makes it the official day of recognition for soldiers of all wars and conflicts to be honored and for the country to remember those who have given the greatest sacrifice for the comfort that we enjoy.

I am again grateful for the soldiers who have gone before and helped to make this country that we live in so wonderful. I am always mindful and thankful for my dad's service and thankful that he not only served but survived the Vietnam War and then served our country for another 20+ years. I am always looking for soldiers to meet and thank and introduce my children to. At last weeks game against Fossil we had the pleasure of watching the Leap Frogs from the Navy Seal Team fall from the sky and bring in the game ball. I introduced myself to them and shook hands with a sailor who was on the West Virginia on December 7 of 1941 and told me more horror stories in 5 minutes then I ever wanted to hear. As he shook Blake's hand I told my son that he was holding the hand of a super hero. Blake just smiled.

I'm glad you made it home dad. For those of you out there who served in the military, thank you and my God bless you.

Happy Veteran's Day, and welcome home.

No comments: