Saturday, August 21, 2010

Tom Winter

We were fortunate to be able to attend the memorial service of Tom Winter. Tom was the uncle of my best friend and brother in law Kenny winter. The crazy part was that he was only 3 years older than his nephew. Cool I guess.

To hear his wife and oldest daughter speak openly in front of a large crowd about the love they had for their husband and father was just amazing. To hear old friends praise him for being the example of Christ in their lives was inspiring and moving. To listen to his older brothers David and John speak tenderly about their baby brother and the qualities that he had was so kind and loving. To listen to Kenny speak about his "older brother" and the example of a true follower of Jesus that he was caused me to look once again at my own life.

This is the second time we have memorialized a man that has left this world too early. This is the second time in 6 months that we have listened to a wife speak boldly about her departed husband with the strength of 10,000 angles. This is second time in 6 months that I have listened to the warning that life passes quickly and the moments that we have a so very valuable and precious.

I have pledged again to be better in the moment and not so concerned and worried about the future. I am reminded again that God has our days numbered and has a plan for us that is far greater than the things that we consider important.

I want to think in terms of God and His Kingdom and eternity. I want my wife to see me as patient and caring and willing to serve. I want my kids to know that I love their mother and cherish every moment I have with them. I want to be better than I am. Listening to so many speak of Tom reminds me of that once again.

When the service was over my brother in law came to me. We hugged and cried and as he pulled away from me he said, "I'm going to go first so I don't have to speak at your funeral." Amazing is that I was thinking the same thing.

Kenny, Bubba, Mario, Gil, Izzy, BYoung, Bedard .... good luck.

No comments: