Sunday, April 03, 2011

John 4

Still feeling very blessed to be at The Hills church. For those of you with smart phones out there you can download an app, or whatever you non iPhone people call it, and get live streaming of worship, old sermons and other cool stuff. Check it out and let it bless you.

John 4 today. The story of Jesus and the woman at the well and the living water thing. Very great lesson presented by the new associate minister whom I do not recall his name but he is coming from California so he must be good.

The question to consider is who are we in the story? Are we Jesus? Are we the woman? Are we the disciples in town?

Jesus: The giver of the water that will never cause you to be thirsty again.

The Woman: The person who is in sin.

The Disciples: In town making preparations for Jesus.

I always knew I was not Jesus, although some prideful place in my mind allows me to consider the possibility that I am the bringer of this amazing water. But I recover from that and remind myself that God can work through me but it is always God doing the work. So I say to you that I am not Jesus.

The Woman is a sinner and an adulterer and I am not that bad. I know and believe in Christ and do a darn good job of living a very comfortable life in my christian bubble. I would notice Jesus if he approached me and I would not be on my 5 spouse. Nope. Not me.

I did always see myself as the disciples in town. Working for Jesus so he could do great things. Not perfect but definitely not a Samaritan and I am mindful that Jesus really needs me to buy him food because he already used his "make a bunch of food" miracle and he could not do that twice.

Sadly, today I was slapped in the face with the truth once again that I am the sinner needing water. I am the lost person who chases a thousand other things to fill the empty spots in my life, instead of turning to the giver of life and being filled with him.

The adultery of the woman is sin, but confronting her current sin might not be the point. Instead the point could be that looking for items on this earth to fill my life is not what Jesus is wanting from us because those things always leave us thirsty back at Jacob's well. We need what only Jesus can provide and I will remain thirsty until I accept that reality.

I need to wake up. I need fresh water. Water from Jesus.

No comments: