Saturday, September 03, 2005

Going, Going Gone part II


This one was harder to sell than the boat. I first encountered "The Bronco" in my middle school days. Bubba would come pick me up from school on Friday afternoons. We would go 4 wheel driving, or ride horses at the White's farm in east Escondido and study the bible together. Bubba was great and the Bronco was so cool. In early high school Kenny and I cut our teeth 4 wheel driving in the Bronco. Monday nights after youth group or Wednesday night after church we would go find some trail and test fate for an hour or so. Why our parents let us go is amazing to me now. The summer before my senior year of high school my car broke down and Bubba let me drive "The Bronco" for a few months. It was the best truck a skinny high school boy could have.

I begged to have "The Bronco" for years. Bubba said it was too dangerous for me, as we would laugh about the close encounters we did have in the past. When I went to college the plan was for Bubba and his oldest son Chad to rebuild it, but smog laws in California would not allow it due to the modifications Bubba had made to the motor and exhaust system, so it sat under an oak tree at his house.

In 2002 Bubba called me and said I could have it if I wanted it. The Bronco was going to have to leave California if it would ever run again. My dad hauled it out to me later that summer. It had not run in 6 years, was missing the transfer case and needed a lot of work. I was so excited. Sharla was so mad at Bubba. Robynn, Bubba's wife thought that was so funny.

I spent the next 2 years working on that truck. Money spent, late nights covered in oil, dirt and grease. Broken pieces, pinched fingers, lots of yelling, but I got it running and legal. It was like a dream. To drive the Bronco around town was like bringing back a piece of my childhood. But the Bronco did not hold a car seat very well, and it got really bad gas mileage, and insurance was money wasted, and Shar hated it, and Shar was pregnant, and a bunch of other stuff forced me to understand that the Bronco needed a new home.

Tonight it got a new home. A young Army soldier stationed at Fort Hood fell in love with it and paid cash, in $20's. The Bronco is gone. But I'm really not sad. I really did have a great time with that truck, and it was so cool to drive, but I began to realize that the Bronco was not what I was missing. I was missing those dusty nights with the guys from church on top of some hill in North County. I was missing Bubba, my mentor and teacher. I was missing the idea of stopping by the Martins house, putting all 3 boys in the back seat and driving the backroads of Escondido with Bubba and Kenny. I understand that the Bronco represented the people that I loved and missed.

The Bronco is gone, but those people will always be with me. Bubba, Robynn, Kids, Kenny, Dad - sorry, but the Bronco is gone. I love you all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bor,

This is a sad day indeed. Well, I guess so. I totally agree with your ending comments, the real beauty of the Bronco was what it represented to us that knew it well. Not that I wanted to get to know it as well as you did over the last couple of years. However, I do feel privileged to have driven it this summer. It was a real joy but at the same time one of those experiences best left in memory.

When doing something that one remembers so fondly from a long time ago one has the thought "I thought that hill was a lot bigger when I was a kid" or "I remember it quite differently". Well the 'ole Bronco was a bit like that for me. For instance I had forgotten that you had to slam both feet through the floor board and skid them on the asphalt to get the thing to stop. Oh well, lots of fun though.

One last thing... I'm glad for Sharla's sake that you sold it or you might spend a lot more nights on that couch in the garage... Good call Bor. Love you.

Kenny

Anonymous said...

Sadness. No man should have to get rid of all of his toys in the same year. Unless that gives you permission to upgrade to new toys! :)

J-Wild said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J-Wild said...

Wow, I feel a country song coming on!

That Bronco looks tough man! I can just see you and Blake riding around that thing.

I too had strong feelings about a car I had in High School. My '86 Prelude (which you pulled out of Ft. Phantom many times for me) was so great. I am glad the Bronco will live on with it's macho persona. Sounds like the guy you sold it do is going to do her justice.

Of course I sold my car to two guys who said their favorite thing about the car was the stereo system. Before they drove off they thanked me and put in a Cher CD and jamed to "Do You Believe in Life After Love". Quite a different ending.