Tuesday, February 28, 2006

10:30 pm, 2-28-06

I had a soccer game tonight. It was an in town game and I got home around 9:45. Shar puts the kids down alone on game nights, but if I get home early enough I can talk to Blake in bed before he falls asleep.

Blake has never been a good sleeper. He has just fought sleep and the whole idea of sleep his entire life (30 months).

I went in and talked with Blake and told him about the game. We talked about the Soccer Boys and what they were doing and other regular questions. Then I told him "to obey and go seepy seepy" and left the room. We know he is going to get up so we watch the news and talk in the living room for the next 15 minutes. Blake got up twice just to check on us. "Why are you out of bed?" I ask. "Because I don't want spanking" Blake replies and we go back to bed. The second time he got up he received 1 light spanking to remind him of possible future events if he did not stay in his bed. Shar and I go to our room and begin to get ready for bed and finish talking. At 10:30 I return to the living room to turn off a lamp light and feed Kojie. That is when I saw Blake. Sitting on the couch, legs crossed, with 2 peeled bananas in his lap and a 3rd banana in his hand. He is sitting there with a look on his face that says, "all the kids do this". I laughed and went to get Shar.

This was one of those times that the parent could not help but laugh, and when we laugh Blake laughs. I eat one of the bananas while Shar works to gain her composure and takes Blake to his room. 2 spankings later Blake is back in bed and we are now fairly confident that he will stay in bed.

Questions: How did he get 3 bananas out of the bowl on the kitchen counter? What made him grab all 3? Why not go to his room and hide the evidence? Why is he awake at 10:30 at night? Why am I writing at 11:30?

4 comments:

SanDee said...

Oh my goodness, I was laughing outloud while reading your post. I feel for you both. Hunter was and to this day is still not good to go to sleep and stay that way. He like Blake fights it hard. I wish I could say it might end soon, and who knows it might, but Hunter is 4 and a half and it is still a very LARGE struggle of ours. the bananas thing is hilarious. You have a very wise and cute son. Embrace these moments. They will soon be gone. Love SanDee

Anonymous said...

This is great! I love the bananas. How? Why? Blake is the cutest thing. I love to hear Dad tell stories about him. Your family is much loved by the Penland crew!!

simplegestures said...

you are a funny man and I think Blake may have your "quirks", so they joy will continue...

J-Wild said...

Great story. Three bananas is easy to explain. Two to hold (one in each hand) and one to eat. Makes sense to me. The kid wants some fruit, you should stop giving him Skittles!