Monday, March 06, 2006

Score for My Wife

It was around the weekend of Thanksgiving of 2005. Shar was curious about a "pop up" that came across the screen as she was playing on the net. I always get away from ads that show up as quick as possible, but Shar is a curious cat and she looked at this one. "Free Laptop Computer" the ad said. We had been looking at portable DVD players for the car and were debating on whether or not we should get a laptop or a DVD for the Tahoe.

Go forward 6 weeks, and Shar has now made a purchase and cancelled her 6th credit card and feels confident the laptop is on the way. Sharon and I abuse Shar for dreaming that a laptop will show up in the mail due to her persistent use of every Discover Card made.

Go forward to the last week in January. Shar gets an email that says, "Congratulations, you are the winner of a new laptop computer or a gift of equal value." That was the catcher. I knew it was too good to be true. We would be receiving a years worth of cat litter or 25 cases of tomato paste. No body gets a free laptop.

Go forward to March 6, 2006 at 9:00 am. I get a call at work from Shar... "Guess what?" she says to me. "I don't know Shar, is something wrong?" Her next words are priceless. "I got MY Computer" she says.

Can you believe it. A new Gateway Laptop with all the latest software. For Free! She scored big here. I love my wife for a billion reasons, but one of them has to be the persistent attitude to save a few dollars or work hard to get a deal on something she wants. This time, she has beaten the system. Great job Shar,.....Thanks for the computer.

2 comments:

David Scott said...

Gotta be the one I returned to Gateway as being defective. I'm sure of it!
David

Anonymous said...

All I ever get with those kind of deals is a lot of grief and more debt. Thus Financial Peace University! Congratulations!!!