Saturday, January 20, 2007

Changes?

I became Coach Bundy in college. I was in charge of the sports for the club I was in and being a Ministry Major drop out and making plans on teaching and coaching the guys nicknamed me "coach".

My first job was my favorite. Abilene High hired me for the Spring semester as a receivers coach. I helped Coach Del Van Cox that spring and then a spot opened up at Mann Middle School. The AD at AHS was and is Steve Warren and he was a great boss. He was always encouraging and helpful to a young coach and gave me my first job. At Mann Middle School I learned more than I can explain. Great guys like Jasper Wilson and Ricky Fox and Foy Pinson showed me how to teach and coach and take care of kids. My 7th grade B team coaching partner was a guy named Steve Cunningham. We were both brand new to coaching and did not have a clue what we were doing. It was a great year of middle school athletics.

From there we moved to Round Rock were I got a job at Deerpark Middle School. I was really wanting a highschool job, but did not have the experience or connections to get one. Ron Styron hired me there and my buddy on staff was Jim McDermott. He was from Wisconsin and we had a blast. One of the kids we coached at Deerpark is now playing basketball at UT.

From Deerpark we came to Belton. I got a Junior High job in 2000 and met some of the best coaches ever. York, Hood, Bartz, Simmons, Hammond, Spradley, Brown were all great teachers to a young coach. I was at the Junior High for one year when an opening came at the high school.

Jay Warrick has been my boss for the last 6 years. He brought me in as a rookie 9th grade coach and I made so many mistakes. I learned and moved to JV and then worked with Coach Brown with the Varsity Secondary. This is where I learned football. Jay was reassigned this winter, which in coaching means asked not to coach. It is amazing how great a coach is when he is winning and how bad the same coach is when he is losing. Does the coach change or do the kids graduate and move on? Coaches are always making mistakes, but sometimes you just don't have the athletes to match up against your opponent. We have coached some great kids her in Belton, and we have taught more than just a game, which to me is very important.

There is a new coach coming in this Monday. Things in Belton are about to change and I don't know what the future will hold. A new boss is coming in. The staff will change, coaches will be reassigned and jobs will be different. Changes are about to take place in Belton and it might be a good thing, but for a guy who doesn't like change, I'm not looking forward to Monday.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Praying His peace at this uncertain time...

Anonymous said...

Hey Byron, it has been great to get to keep up with you and your fam through this blog of yours. I pray the best for you in whatever changes come about. I am really hoping to make a visit to Western Hills sometime in the spring to see some of the most amazing people on earth that really changed my life. I miss getting to see you and so many more every time I go to worship. Good Luck with all that football stuff! I know how series they take football in TX! Remember that its not that series in AR and a coach from TX would look like a hero around here. Keep that in mind if God ever calls you to a big change. haha
We already have 2 old Western Hill boys here in Conway, AR and would love to have more!
God bless you Coach!

April said...

Well- You were right. It's been years since we've seen or even had any contact with Dave and yet he make a picture post. (the problem with not having you in a picture was that I didn't have any picture of Jeff and I with you). So I edited a post on my blog...and I dedicated to you...hope it's friend worthy:)

Anonymous said...

Byron, I know how you feel. Well kinda. A lot has changed this year in Troy too. I lost my spiritual inspiration at school because my cross country coach left. She was head of the FCA and she was what kept me going on my spiritual walk. For a while I didn't know what to do. I still don't understand why God would take such a wonderful coach away from all of those athletes who loved her..but you have to accept it and all you can do now is pray for it and thank God for all the good things in your life. Well...at least that is what I did...