Wednesday, June 20, 2007

"THE ROAD"

I am not a reader. If you know me at all from the A.C.U. days, then you know that I was all about Sharla and Intramural sports and academics came much further down the list. I have just never really enjoyed reading.

My great friend in N.Y. called me last week and explained that he had a book that I just had to read. I can honestly say that no person has ever said that to me in a serious tone, but this time it was real. I was not too worried about it because I knew that I would not go the bookstore and buy this book, but then on Saturday afternoon I received a package in the mail from N.Y., a book. I was stuck.

So, I'm not a reader right? I got the book Saturday and finished it Tuesday night. 287 pages! I'm not a reader, but I found myself unable to put this book down. The title of the book, or modern literature as Jason calls it is,
"The Road", by an author named Cormac McCarthy. The short explanation of the story line is, the journey of a father and son through a land and world that has been destroyed by some amazing fire storm.

When the book ended I was at a loss. I am still confused and unsure about half of what I just read, and I am looking for answers on the Internet whenever a new question comes into my head. I really don't like hanging out there in the unknown and trying to assume what the author was talking about and what these various metaphors stand for. I makes me mad.

I would recommend this book to dad's with sons. It has a wealth of references concerning the love that a dad hold for his son and the sacrifice that is willingly made. It might have other good themes running through it but at this time I am slightly unaware of them.

Reading might become one of my new hobbies, but I would not call it a strong bet. If you have any books out there that you would honestly recommend, to a football coach, then I would be interested in hearing.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Denise just finished that book. She HAD to talk about it. When she told me the premise, I told her she was safe to tell me the ending since there was NO WAY I would read that book. I like happy endings! It does sound VERY thought-provoking, though. Denise's question was: Would the Lord allow the earth to get to such a state?

I have A LOT of books you would like! I'll have to think on that...!

J-Wild said...

Nice work my friend. I owe you a book read so I am ready for your recommendation any time! So much to talk about, I'll call you later.

mdlg said...

Congratulations on this accomplishment. I am impressed. Now, you've got me wondering about this book, so it'll have to go on my "books to read" list. Oh and thanks for the cookies comment - it made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Byron Bundy, this is Allie Becker and I am completely lost with all of this blogg stuff?? Anyways I thought there would be an e-mail address or a different way to get in touch with you but this is the only way I have figured out so... e-mail me at abecker08@tamu.edu as soon as you get time. :) I hope life is going well!