Sunday, January 27, 2008

Membership

Membership has it's privileges.

We are now official members at Richland Hill Church of Christ. How do I know this? Because Shar filled out the green 1/2 sheet of paper that is titled "I Want to be a Member".

Just to remind you, I really do feel great about everything that I can see and have witnessed and know about Richland Hill Church of Christ, but the size of the place is just so massive and I still struggle with felling like a very small fish is this ocean.

But if the # of people is the only problem, then I can get over that and marvel at the amazing abilities and passion and Spirit driven desire that this church has. If you have time I would really encourage you to list to this mornings sermon by Rick. He did not speak on some new revelation of scripture that has come to him. What took place was an explanation of what the church at Richland Hills and their leadership and ministers have been, and are planning for the next 13 years. A church that is publicly planning, having vision and preparing for the future. Prayer driven, Spirit lead plans and expectations.

There are two things that I have already come to love about RHC.

1. They have the abilities to do so much because of the size of their body. The are leading the efforts to build a christian university is Africa, and adopting a local school to supply school items to needy families. They are sending missionaries to all around the world, and planting a new church in uptown Dallas to reach the new young professionals that are flocking to that area. But aside for the wonderful work that they are able to do, the more impressive attribute is this.

2. This is a church that is moving and planning and changing because God is leading them. I am so encouraged to hear that their desire is to not limit God, but to allow the Spirit to lead and move and to have the faith that God will provide ways for His work to be completed.

I have multiple friends that are in the profession of ministry. I understand that it is a passion of theirs while also being a job and I appreciate their commitment to kingdom work. I wonder, however, how the business of running a church is separated from a faith that God will provide the means for His work. What is the first response by a church body or by the leadership of a body of believers when ministry opportunities are presented?... a. "Can we afford to do this work?" b. "I wonder how God will provide for this work?" I am not questioning the role of stewardship and responsible governing of finances in the body of believers .... I'm just throwing out my thoughts.

The luxury is that RHC does have the budget to do so many things, but the blessing is that they trust in God's will and desire before questioning how to afford what the Spirit is calling them to do.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Membership DOES have its privileges! Mainly, being a part of something! I'm thankful you have that -- you will be such a blessing to RHCC!!

Anonymous said...

I went there for many years. Loved it and still know and love many people there. Now I know and love 4 more people there!