Wednesday, June 11, 2008

How To Act???

Mario is was my roommate in college for almost 3 years. We are completely opposite, but have remained great friends for almost 15 years. He is the kind of friend that can invite himself over and it seems normal.

Mario invited himself to church with us last Sunday. He is active in a church in Lewisville, but had no worship responsibilities this last Sunday and decided to come with us to Richland Hills. It was also a chance to see the Gililland family since we were all good friends in college.

Blake and Anna Jo love Uncle Mario.

Blake wanted to sit with Mario at church. As the worship went along, I watched Blake mimic Mario in church. If Mario would raise his hand, or close his eyes during the song, then Blake would follow suit. When Mario reached for a song book, Blake reached for a song book, and made sure that he was on the same page as Mario. Blake was quite, sat still and was more calm and attentive than normal. He had a new adult to watch.

It was nice having Blake watch Mario to see how to act. Blake copies 99% of the things I do, which is great (not always), but I wonder if he is getting the variety of influence that he needs. I have a great dad, and as a boy I copied most things that he did, but I also had other men that were close to my parents that gave me other examples to watch.

One problem with being at a big church, and a new church is that you lack the personal connection with multiple people. It was good for the kids to sit with a familiar face, that wasn't a parent and be able to get a good example of "how to act in church".

Mario will continue to be a blessing to my family and my kids for many years to come, or I'll kick his butt.

1 comment:

mdlg said...

We aren't completely opposite...you're just weird! I love you and your family.