Monday, February 16, 2009

The "Re-Gifter"

I am not afraid to re-gift.  It is a widely practiced and often unmentionable action that I have taken part in, both receiving and giving.  It is common after weddings or baby showers or when receiving gifts from family members that you never see.  But for it take place inside your own immediate family is just wrong.

Blake and Anna Jo got a package in the mail the other day from my parents.  It was Valentine/grandparent gift and honestly anything in the mail with Blake and Anna's name is automatically awesome in their eyes.  I was at work of course, but when I got home that evening both kids could not wait to show me their new treasures.  Anna got some cup and saucer and plate set that is girly and she was so happy.  Blake showed me his gift, but the problem was that it looked all to familiar.  It was an antique cereal bowl that my parents had given me when I was a boy.  It is a breakfast of champions bowl with all sorts of athletic figures around the outside of it.  Very cool for a boy, but I told Blake that actually the bowl was mine.   This caused a dilemma which resulted in a wrestling match which I lost.  But that is not the point.

The point is that my parents are re-gifting the gifts that they gave me, that I left at home when I left home in 1993.  This is unfair and unethical and should be reported to some sort of authority, somewhere.  And there should be rule that a person or persons cannot give the same gift twice.  To receive and then give is one thing, but to give a gift, keep it for 20 years and then give it to the next generation without informing anyone of you actions is highly suspect.  

Just my opinion though, but I have a pretty good idea about what Blake will be getting in the future, and my sister who has 4 boys of her own should get a hold of her girl stuff or it will be in Fort Worth before she knows it. 

On a more serious note, this time last year our family was laying a dear member to rest. Pauline Strawn received her reward and was once again with her husband Mann and in the presence of God.  

1 comment:

kel said...

i agree with you! at least they're giving your stuff back to you in a way :) maybe it's their sneaky way of getting it out of their house. they could be starting to send a new "gift" every week.