Thursday, April 23, 2009

Last Weekend

Last weekend was a blast for me.  The fun began on Friday.  Our head coach volunteered us to play in a charity basketball game at the high school gym on Friday night.  A charity basketball game against the Dallas Maverick Wheel Chair team.  This would require us to be in wheel chairs also.  Now, I am not a great athlete by any means, but I love to compete and if you stick me in a chair and tell me to play, then I'm going to play to win.  At half time I was the leading the coaches team in points scored with.......2.  O.K., these guys were awesome at basketball, but even more impressive was how they crawled and wiggled out of their wheel chairs so we could use them in the game.  True sportsmen these guys were.  During the National Anthem I saw one guy from the wheel chair team saluting the flag.  If you know me at all then you know I had to ask this guy his story.  Turns out he was injured at Fort Hood in Killeen and when I told him I coached in Belton for 7 years he reached up and gave me a hug.  Of course I told him I was a Navy Brat and he asked about my dad.  Then on the floor while playing I rammed him with a wheel chair, because like I said, I play to win.

Then on Saturday morning Blake, Anna Jo and I left for the annual father-child camping trip.  It was such a great weekend.  This was our second year to go and the first year for Anna.  The kids did great and we really enjoyed our time at the Possum Kingdom State Park.  The camping trip consists of the dads from our care group with a few extra dads and kids from church.  about 14 dads and 22 kids for the trip.  So much fun.  


No comments: