Friday, May 01, 2009

Ignorant Gratitude......

I have a habit when out in public.  When I see a veteran, primarily the older ones but any veteran that I happen to pass while out in town, I always stop them and thank them for what they did.  With Blake and Anna I always tell them that these guys did something very special when there were young, and the kids shake their hand.  I want Blake and Anna to appreciate those in the Armed Forces.  To the old guys for WW 2, Korea and Vietnam, I tell them my thanks and that I am glad they made it home, and then I pass along the fact that I was raised by a Navy Corpsman.  

This comment normally gets a special reaction from old soldiers, but especially from the Marines.  The Marines I meet really like guys like my dad and from there the conversation moves forward with ease and enjoyment.

Last week the family is in Home Depot.  Shar and Anna are ahead of me and Blake and we happen to pass an old man wearing the traditional red U.S.M.C. hat.  He looks old and worn out, with dirty overalls on and a half chewed cigar hanging out of his mouth.  Big dirty beard, a tattoo on his arm and leathery hands.  I stop him and ask about his service and thank him and as I shake his hand I turn to Blake and say that this guy did special things for our country, just like Grandon.  

Then the old Marine lets go of my had an bent down to Blake.  He kindly takes my sons hand and says "one day you'll be ready to serve won't you son?"  My heart stopped.  I looked at that old man, and then at my clean little boy and I became very scared.  

As we walked away I flashed through Blake's next 20 years.  Then I looked at that old man and realized that at one time he was a clean little 5 year old boy holding his dad's hand also.  The idea from the man's words haunted me.  

"Serve"?  Do I want Blake to serve his country, like that?  To face that danger and willingly, possibly, offer that much.  The old man said it so ...... honestly.  "Serve".

I am grateful for the soldiers that have and that do stand for our country.  I become more appreciative as I realize more and more what they leave behind when the go.

I love my son and daughter very much.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

My grandfather is a WWII and Korean War vet. Wade & I were just having this conversation the other day. As thankful and proud of my grandfather as I am, I can't imagine sending my own son off to war.

carl said...

I sometimes have fears that my son will want to join the services some day, that I would have to allow him to make his own choices as an adult. And, as much as I would forbid this choice, as much as I would have serious problems with it, I would have to trust him to do what he believes is right, even if I know it's wrong. I pray that day never comes.