Monday, October 18, 2010

Uncle Bill

Most families have grandparents. Many have at least one set and often have two sets of grandparents. I was one of those kids that grew up with 3 sets of grandparents. My Nana and Papa on my dad's side. My grandmother and grandfather on my mom's side. And then there was Uncle Bill and Aunt Marge on my dad's side. They were my dad's uncle and aunt and so they were a great uncle and aunt to my sister and myself. Their significance in my life was great.

Living in California my entire life created a geographical separation between me and my grandparents living in Dallas. The alternate grandparents were Aunt Marge and Uncle Bill who retired in San Diego in the Coronado Cays after spending 50 years in ministry.

I grew up with Christmas and 4th of July being celebrated with Bill and Marge. They loved us as their own, and it worked out since their grandchildren lived in other states and countries, so we were able to provide a significant presence in each other's lives.

Bill died this past week after 94 years of full life, preaching the word of God in 38 countries and finding full peace in his commitment to the kingdom. He will be remember for his eloquent prayers, long and slow stories, yacht rides around the San Diego Bay and his love for his family.

My life has been blessed by this saint and I look forward to our reunion in heaven.

1 comment:

Scott F said...

Sorry about your loss. But am thrilled at the cherrised memories you gained by knowing him and his activity in your life. When we all, get to Heaven......