Sunday, January 02, 2011

2011

Happy New Year to the 3 of you still out there. I am going to make a commitment to this blog thing and see how it goes. No promises.

If I try this then it would be good to hear from you. Leave a comment and make it real. I am o.k. with you not liking my posts or having a different opinion to my ramblings. This really should be a two way street.

This year Shar and I are going to be more specific in our parenting. We have good kids but are very aware of Satan and how his lies are powerful and often unseen. We want to be overly intentional about what we do with our kids. We took a very long and detailed parenting class in spring of 2010 called Growing Kids God's Way. Wonderful study and we are implementing still many of the things we learned.

One item that we are going to work on as a family will be the Fruits of the Spirit. We are planning on teaching the kids this values that God holds in high priority and hoping to provide a clear example of these items as we teach them.

Question. What do you think about our plan?
Question. What do you remember from your childhood that had a large impact that was beneficial in future years?
Question. What is your favorite fruit. Real or of the Spirit?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy new year. I'm glad to be one who enjoys your postings. You are great people and great parents. But, this doesn't need to be two-way. I have no kids, no insights for you. But, from my childhood, I know that my parents were always consistent. We knew what was expected.

Scott F said...

Happy New Year!
The fact that you have a plan, is more than most parents. Truth.

I struggle for favorite Fruit of the Spirit. That's tough. I'm gonna go with "Love" though as I see it as a part of each of the others.

Sarah said...

Favorite/ most challenging fruit of the spirit (at the moment): Gentleness. I have a "this is the way it is, get happy about it" attitude to one and all. I long to be a gentle soul. It will only be the work of the Spirit in me that can do that.

J-Wild said...

Still blogging? I'll still read then. Anytime parents are intentional about their kids spiritual life it's a good thing. The only thing I'd say is make sure your focus begins and ends with the unique individuality of your children. Strategies and systems for parenting, leading, dieting, exercise, etc are useful in a general sense but can too often become traps when applied and used with situations or people (which is what kids are) for whom those prescribed ideas don't resonate.

The biggest impact on my spiritual life was the fact that I was at church often and consistently. I had great relationships with my youth ministers and they played a pivotal role in my faith even when my parents marriage was
Disintegrating. But I wouldn't have been there to receive that leading had "being at church" not been a family habit.

I love strawberries.