Wednesday, January 19, 2011

2011 B

Where does the line fall, in secular work, were you are devoted and committed to your job, but you could most likely rather be doing other things?

Why is it in the secular world that we are seemingly forced to strive to succeed and reach new goals in our "work", when we are promised that "All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of he field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever."? 1 Pet. 2

The problem is not whether we are hard workers. The problem is that the work of this world is not my priority. It is my job, not my existence.

I want to be a "stranger in the world". 1 Pet. 1.

I want the wisdom of Solomon.

"I need, I need, I need". Name that movie if you can.

Respond to the serious part above if you are willing.




1 comment:

Sarah said...

Of course there is Col. 3:23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men"

First, let me say that I am the absolute worst person to be giving advice about the work world, being mostly a full time mom, dabbling in writing a bit.

However, I would imagine that to take Col. 3:23 with you and keep that as your perspective and measure of success would shift your focus of of what success looks like.

You have a job that is a ministry, and one that you happen to be gifted to do. I pray that you stay in it a very long time, touching many young lives for the Lord along the way.

And, perhaps, like precious Leta Andrews of Granbury, God will grant you a measure of earthly success in your endeavors. But if not, to love stinky teenage boys is a ministry that not everyone can do -- and you do it exceedingly well. That is success. Granted, if your measure of success is only love... it may mean your family moves a lot. But I think the Lord will watch over you every time. :-)