Sunday, June 17, 2012

Rio Day 4, 5, 6, ????

I forget what day I am on in this blog exercise but I want to try and continue to share what is happening here.  I feel obligated to relate to you how God is working in the world.  I, and possibly many of you feel so consumed by the life we live in the states.  Our busy lives, our countless activities and how important or significant we see our daily or weekly schedule to be.  I am forced to examine my life, my wants and desires, my prayers and my concept of our God.  It may sound strange to you but I am not sure that God cares if Anna can do a cartwheel or if Blake can field a ground ball at short stop.  I am so very thankful that Blake and Anna and Sharla and I are seeing the church that exists outside of our North Tarrant County bubble.  To see God at work in peoples lives in vivid and clear ways and to be reminded of the global church and a global God.  These are difficult concepts for me to keep at the forefront of my thoughts and I hope my children will be more aware and open to these concepts as they grow. 

Church here was great today.  It was the 12 year anniversary of this congregation plant here in Rio.  I am nearly forced to tears when I hear Christians worship with songs that I recognize and with words that I cannot pronounce.  To hear foreign voices to my sheltered ears praise our God with intense emotion and passion and volume.  Brazilians can sing.  Our host is the worship leader and he (Bruno) has a passion for worship.  I have some video from worship this morning that I will post upon our return so be looking for that.

I have been overwhelmed with some comments from our Brazilian readers (students) this week.  I was and most likely still am very unaware of how important English is to the people we are reading with.  I was unaware of how important it is to spend time with Americans.  I am still amazed at how the Gospel has a way of soaking into someones heart and causing them to think about this life from God's perspective. 

Here are some interesting things that have been said to Sharla and I this week.  I will most likely say these things more correctly than they were expressed to us, but you will understand the meaning.  Brazilians are very kind and loving people so when they speak the speak from their heart. 

"I am very grateful for the opportunity to listen to your voice."
"I appreciate so very much that you want to teach me your beautiful language of English."
"I never dreamed that I would have had the opportunity to spend the evening and eat a meal with an American family.  It is a dream to me."
"I cannot understand what would make you come here and teach me English?"
"Is there anything I can do to service you?  I repay you for teaching me English"
"Did God tell you to come to Brazil for teaching English?"

and then on the lighter side.....

"When are you going to leave?"  (Bruno, the husband of the couple we are staying with.  His English is perfect and he wants his house back.)

It is a blessing to be here and do just a little work so God's kingdom can be introduced to a handful of people in Rio. 

No comments: