Friday, November 10, 2006

Going Once, Twice, Sold!!


This is a strange story. It begins last June while Blake and I are outside working on my truck. Blake is playing in the bed of the truck and I am and doing something under the hood and a truck pulls up next to us. Two Hispanic guys in the truck and one asks, "how much do you want for your truck?". I am curious why this question is being asked. No for sale sign, no advertisement. I explain that it is not for sale and the questions keep coming. "What year is it? What are it's mile? How much would you take?" I finally convince the guys that the truck is not being sold and then ask why they want it so bad. "We will have that truck in Mexico tomorrow and make $1000 bucks." I am impressed with the two guys, one for stopping and asking and two for being honest about what they want it for. I take the cell number of the guy and that was that.

Football season is long, whether you are winning or losing. Yard work goes undone, car's are neglected for a few months. Late nights early mornings and short weekends do not offer much time for the regular things of life. I say that to say that my truck was running pretty rough through September and October. Did I need a new truck, no! Did I even want a new truck, no! Did I need some sort of transportation that would at least pass inspection and run without blowing flames out the tail pipe, yes. Shar and I talked about the reality of trying to purchase a truck, but it just wasn't going to happen. I did spend $100 dollars last week on plugs and wires, cap and rotor and tried to tune the old truck up a bit. It helped some, but it was more like a bandaid on serious wound. Then we got some good news. Shars grandfather was ready to get rid of his truck and my father-in-law told them that I was in need and would like to look at it. So we talked and decided we could afford a downpayment to the grand parents and then squeeze a low monthly payment. So the next step was to get rid of my truck. I called back the guys who stopped me back in June. As soon as I mentioned that I would like to sell the truck they were making plans to drive from Austin up to Temple to get it. They arrived at 4:30 and were gone with the truck by 4:45. They offered $200 less then what I was asking, which was still a lot more than the truck was worth, but they were confident it would sell for more in Mexico.

So my truck is now officially gone. I have only owned 3 cars in my short driving life. A 1969 VW Squareback in Highshcool. A 1984 Toyota Single Cab 4x4 that I had for 3 years in college and then the white Toyota. 1994, extra cab, 4x4. I bought it with 50, 00 miles on it and sold it with 214,963 miles. Ron found it for me in Temple. I remember going to look at it with my girlfriends dad one afternoon while we were home to visit. My Papa (my dad's father) helped me buy it along with the insurance money from a previous wreck in the red Toyota. Shar and I drove that truck to California 6 times while dating and young married. We left from our wedding in that truck. We drove a trailer full of gymnastic mats to New York in that truck. I really did love that truck. It pulled the boats well, but you always had to put it in 4 wheel drive to get out of the water. It looked good covered in mud after an offroading trip in college with Young and Gil, or pulling a good friends Prelude out from an awkward position at the lake. Good memories in that truck, but now it belongs to someone else. I hope they enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks for reading this long post. By the way, if you have a Toyota or Nissan truck that you want to sell I know some guys that are always in the market. My new friends in Mexico Roberto and Joshua.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard you were trash talking on my wife's blog? In case you were wondering.... I still got it.... ( and your yo-yo's too). Their in the mail. I promise. let me know when you get them.
Thanks

jeftecampos said...

HI COACH!!!!