Wednesday, June 27, 2007

It Is Official!

For some time now we have been slightly withholding information concerning the possible idea that we might be moving. This has been a very difficult time for us as a family and the stress and uncertainty of not knowing where you will work or live has caused us much anxiety. I know that it shouldn't and more people than not got through this process very often, but it has been a strain on our family.

This whole process began back in January when the new A.D. was hired at Belton High School, where I have been coaching for the past 6 years. I was nervous at the time but fairly optimistic about the possibility of staying at Belton. Well I was wrong. I received my 8 minute meeting with the new head coach and then he requested that I resign my position at Belton High so he could hire his own people. I have to say that I was really crushed at this moment. Shar cried when I told her. It was partly the idea of not getting to coach at Belton and be with these kids, but the real kicker was that I was told that "we don't want you here." Those are not very fun words to hear.

To complain about the fact that this is not fair, or that the coach did not give me a chance and all of the other realities about the "firing" would be pointless. This is the unfair part of my job and I understand that. I do think God was protecting me from some obvious negative factors that would have been present if I had not been asked to resign, and I am grateful for that now but it took a while for me to see that. I wonder when others will notice those things?

After many job interviews and driving all over the state of Texas, a good job at a good school working for a good coach came open. I applied for a job at Keller Central High School on a Tuesday. I got a call from Keller High on Friday. Those are two different schools. The Central job had already been filled, so the A.D. at Central emailed my stuff to the Keller High A.D. who had a job open but was not advertising it. Keller Highs A.D. called me on a Friday morning in May and asked me to come visit with him. That next Sunday at church I was telling this to another coach whom we go to church with and he says, "I know that guy. Let me give him a call for you." This might not sound like that big of deal, but the coaching world is political and a phone call from a friend can go along way. This phone call made a huge difference. I went to the interview and was offered a job.

I am now, as of Tuesday when I signed my contract, a Varsity Secondary Coach at Keller High School. We have sold our house here in Temple and are actively looking for housing in Keller. The coaching staff at Keller High is going to be a very good staff to work with.

The are so many great possibilities that come with this job in Keller. I will share more about that in the future, but there is a negative and that is leaving Temple. So many great friends and relationships here and replacing those will not be possible. The greatest struggle will be moving away from my in-laws. I have wonderful in-laws and it is great to live in town with them and go to church with them. I really struggled with the idea of moving the kids away from their grandparents, and there will be some difficulties that come with that, but Ron and Diana have been so very perfect in there support and encouragement of what will be best for our family. I am grateful for the love and support that they continually offer us and I appreciate and love them so very much.

This is not goodbye to those of you in Temple. We will be here a few more weeks and I will address the dear church friends we have at that time. For those of you in the DFW area, look out. For the rest of you, thanks for your prayers and support.

3 comments:

mdlg said...

Congratulations...I'm really happy for y'all. Good luck with the selling and buying.

Sarah said...

Wish Belton could know what a sad loss that is for them! I know you will bless Keller and I can't wait to hear all about it -- I'm pretty whacky in that I think any change is an opportunity for good. With you and Sharla on it, it will be AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job! I was afraid this was going to happen but am happy for this new opportunity for all of you. I hate for you to leave Belton and Western Hills, but Keller is a great place. One thing you will love is that almost all of your games will be played right there in DFW so very few long nights on a bus or in a hotel! The town and the school district are growing like crazy and there are a lot of really good churches in the area. But Central Texas will certainly miss you, Sharla, and the kiddos.