Sunday, July 15, 2007

It's Official Part 2

We are moving to Keller. If you did not know that then we have not communicated in a long time. The process began with a change in the Athletic Director position at Belton High, who asked for my position. The details of that side of the story can be found here.

At the end of June I was officially hired by Keller I.S.D., but it really had not fully hit us that we were leaving. As we began to try to sell the house and then sold the house and began to pack boxes the move seemed more real, but not actually something that would ever happen but instead some far off task that might not ever be reached. But as of tonight the move to Keller is finally very real. Tonight we said goodbye to our church.

Here is how the day went.

I got to lead worship at church this morning. It was fun for me because I got sing all of my favorite songs. Here is the order of worship. I am not known for being emotionally strong, so it could have been a real mess for me to lead singing on the last Sunday we are here, but I made it all the way through church until I had to read the closing scripture before the closing song. I chose Numbers 6:24-26 and then lead The Lord Bless you and Keep you. I barely made it through the first line of scripture, and then chocked my way through the song. It could have gone better but it happened.

The church was really alive this morning. Singing sounded great and the energy of the congregation was very easy to feel in their songs. I love being apart of powerful worship and this morning the church and praise team were so great.

The afternoon was typical, with minor errands to run and kids naps, and I took a nap. The evening service at church was to be followed by a going away party for Shar and I and the kids, and it was going to be an emotional evening that I was already nervously anticipating.

The church part was good. Scott shared a few thoughts on praise from Psalm 146 and on christian life from 1 Thessalonians. Larry Mathews prayed over Shar and I and the kids and then we headed off to the FLC for a pizza dinner. It was a nice environment in the FLC. Light conversation and jokes and no crying. Our good friends the McClendons from Austin came to be with us. All good things.

Neil Haney then called the attention of the room and began to speak concerning Shar and I and the kids and the things we had been involved with here at the church and gave some very eloquent blessings. Then he opened the mic up to allow people to speak if they wanted. A handful of people said things. Henry Browning said "if all I had to do to get Bundy to leave was buy some pizza I would have done this a long time ago." The crowd liked that one. Henry and Evelyn have been very good to us and have loved our kids in special way these past years. Farrar Keetch spoke about how much he liked my dad. Farrar is an old Marine and my dad is retired Navy, and I swear when my folks come to town dad and Farrar will be late to church because they are outside sharing old war stories. Farrar and Barbara have been a blessing to us, and they have loved my kids and my parents. They are true saints. Randy Pittenger shared his appreciation for our work with the youth group and sweet Sherry Caffey, who is not known for public emotional speeches, made some very tender comments about our relationship with her family and son Kyle. The Caffey family is very special family to us. All in all this was not too difficult of a event and I was very happy with the mixture of humor and tears. Neil then asked us to come up front for a prayer and blessing and gift from the congregation. A money tree and painted scripture from Jeremiah 29 was presented from the church, and Randy and LaGay got Blake and Anna some cool Noah's Ark books.

Well, from there it was hugs and goodbyes and thank yous, until the praise team began to form around us. I knew something was up, but I was hoping it was a prayer or blessing from the praise group. Instead Jim Boulter began to sing The Lord Bless you and Keep you. I lost it before the work Lord was finished. The remaining people gathered around and blessed us with their voices. It was very special to us.

The praise team at Western Hills is very special group. Godly men and women who love to serve the church in leading worship. It has been a blessing and honor for me to be associated with such talented and humble servants and I will miss them dearly. Jim, Syree, LaGay, Laurene, Jenna, Sharissa, Rhonda, Julie, Todd, Randy, Mike, Richard and Matt. You have been so wonderful to take a coach and help him learn to sing. I am grateful for your patience and forgiveness and I look forward to hearing you again.

We have really loved our time here at Western Hills in Temple and the church has been a blessing to us. Great things are in your future and I am proud to say that I was able to worship and serve with you. May the Lord Bless you and Keep You.

Bundy Family

3 comments:

mdlg said...

You blessed many lives at that congregation - it is obvious by the displays of honor they gave you and your family. Saying goodbye is always difficult, but I know you will continue to affect people's lives as deeply wherever y'all are. Can't wait to see you on Thursday.

Anonymous said...

Keller will be so blessed by the Bundy family as it continues to grow in ways God chooses. Western Hills has certainly bee blessed over the years by your spirit filled lives. Thanks for sharing this day with the world. It was a really great day for God and His kingdom, just a bit sad for us in the process

Anonymous said...

Byron,
It has been a blessing to know you and minister alongside you at Western Hills. You and Sharla have left an impact and a legacy here on this place. I know this is not goodbye just see you later. And we can still be "blog neighbors"!

Love Ya Much
Scott