Sunday, October 21, 2007

Weekend Update with Byron Bundy

Wow, I have been so busy that I just do not have time to write these days. So much is happening and I am beginning to forget what I am trying to remember to write about. This is going to be long, so get ready.

Big game last Friday night for the Keller Indians. We are in a very tough district, 5-5A, and Keller has struggled that past 2 years to get into the playoffs. This past Friday was a game we really wanted and needed to win for us to have the opportunity to play in week 11.

We played the Richland Rebels from Birdville I.S.D. It was a great game with a great beginning to it. This season, 2007 is the reunion year for the 1957 Keller Football team, who has the greatest record in Keller football history. Playing in Class A, this team went 11 & 1, and won their region which was the highest possible honor for a school of that size. The impressive part is that the 1957 team had 10 shut outs in that season. That is truly amazing. The Head Coach of Keller, Coach A. found this out when he first came to Keller and was looking through the history of the school. This impressive record caught his attention and he decided to do something about it.

This entire season we have been reminding the players about the '57 team and this past week was homecoming at Keller High, so Coach A. invited as many players as he could find back to Keller for this weeks pep rally and game. You will not believe it, but 19 guys from the '57 team came back along with the head coach and the assistant coach. We honored them on Friday at the pep rally, and then Friday night it got really good. We gave them jerseys, with their number from high school to wear on the sidelines and be honorary captains at the coin toss. The head coach was pushed onto the field in his wheel chair by his former players, and the men stood there at the 50 yard line and relived a small piece of their past. It was awsome to see the fans rise and cheer these men, and to watch them relish in the moment, together. It was a great tribute to give to these guys, some of whom came in from Florida and Arizona to be apart of the weekend. I shook as many hands as I could and the smiles and tears they had was encouraging to see. It was strange, but felt good for a 67 year old man in a football jersey to say "go get'em coach, go win."

Now, all of this happened before the Black Knights parachuted into the stadium with the American Flag and the game ball. The air show is in town and somehow we had this incredible pregame show by the U.S. Army. Very cool way to start a high school football game.

Then, if the night was not good enough, we had a great come from behind win, in the last 6 minutes, to beat Richland and be one step closer to the playoffs. The players, stands, band and coaches were so fired up at the win. It was wild on the field after the game; hugging and high fives all around. What a great night.

I stayed at the field house late that Friday night and early Saturday morning to break down my game film, because I had plans for Saturday. A.C.U. Homecoming in Abilene was this weekend, but it is late, and I am tired so Abilene and Homecoming will have to wait until tomorrow.

Hope you all have a great day.
I hope to finish the story Monday night. See you later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey coach i've been thinking alot lately and i have decided that i would love to caoch football one day, but how do you get started in that career.

the younger of two brothers from belton

Byron said...

I can help, but I need to have a better clue of who I am helping. I am coach, remember?

J-Wild said...

You have a slight typo in your title. Might want to fix that :)

Anonymous said...

Hey coach Bundy. Good to know that things are going so well for you and your beautiful family in Keller. I was sad to hear that you left Belton. I wanted my younger sister to enjoy your class as much as I did :) Thought I would let you know that I am engaged and the wedding is going to be on March 1st. If you can, I would like to have your address so that I can send an invitation to you and your family :) You should feel cool, you're the only teacher I'm sending one to.
- Michaela C.

Anonymous said...

I was a Richland Rebel. So, sorry we lost but if we had to, glad it was to you and your team!