Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sad Days

Sharla's family burried an icon today in Bell Falls, Texas. Pauline Odessa (Trout) Strawn, or Aunt Polly to the family, was burried today next to her husband of 68 years and 1 month, Mann C. Strawn who passed away 3 years ago.

There are so many things to tell you about Aunt Polly, but I do not have time right now. I do want to mention one item though.

Aunt Polly was living a full life until the day she died. She was that cool old person who did not realize that she needed to slow down in her old age. She was still driving and painting and attending church and visiting friends until the final week of her life. Shar and I went to her house last night in Morgan's Point and walked through the house of a living person. She was in the middle of art projects, and had supplies and plans for future paintings that she was planning to do for other people. There was no sign of a person who was expecting to die, yet Polly was ready to leave this world and reunite with Mann in Heaven. She missed him very much and was tired of being alone, but did not complain or sulk because things were not the way she wanted. She got on with her life and did so while confidently trusting that God was doing His will and would sustain her until this life ended and heaven began.

Too many things to say now about her, but I will say that Mann and Pauline were very dear to this married in member of the family. They took care of me from day one and I loved them both dearly.

Pauline falls in a very select group of women that I hold in very high esteem. Elderly, God fearing women who are a clear example of a faithful life to God. Along with Pauline is my Aunt Marge in Coronado, California and Marion Smith of Temple, Texas. I might give details to my opinion of these women at a later time, but the 3 of them have always been and encouragement to me and I have always been impressed by their lives.

Today was a sad day because we miss Pauline here on earth, but we are joyful knowing she is with Jesus and her Mann in Heaven.

On a lighter note, it is sad that I have been blogging for alomost 3 years, sharing my life, my children, my family, my ups and my downs and doing so from the depth of my heart, and yet when I write something about the sacred Aggies I recieve more comments then any other blog that I have ever written.

Let us look at this topic at it's most simplified core. Aggieland began as a trade school on how to plant seeds (agriculture) and how to fix tractors (mechanics). Do not begin to elevate them to the status of higher education, like that of THE UNIVERISTY OF TEXAS. Not a very confussing name is it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this tribute. And I agree with you about the 3 women you mention. These women are an inspiration as I grow older that one can still be a valued person to all who know you. The trick is to be like one of them!

Anonymous said...

I loved this Byron. I don't think I have ever commented on your blog and certainly wouldn't have regarding the Aggies (HOOK 'EM) and probably didn't even know I checked your blog.

But having known an amazing Godly woman such as your aunt I wanted to say AMEN.