Thursday, March 12, 2009

$$$

I have been trimming trees for a side job and hobby for almost 9 years.  I began the summer after my first year in Belton, when 2 of the junior high staff asked me if I wanted to help with a tree and fire wood job that they had.  I was instantly hooked.

As  boy I grew up going to the base at Warner Springs and helping my dad cut up fallen or dead trees.  We used or gave the fire wood away, but that was not the point.  There is something about working in the outdoors and saw dust and chain saws that makes life seem simple and fun.

The main influence on my tree trimming career is a coach name David in Belton.  He taught me the rules and knowledge of the how to trim, bid and cut trees without hurting yourself or the property around you.  I have obeyed his rules 97% of the time.  (Those that know me may remember my little fall from the winter or 2006.)  David always brought his two boys to drag limbs for us, which makes the job go so much faster.  The boys were 4 and 6 years old when I started working and now they are middle and high school age.  Tree trimming has been a great side hobby and has provided my family with some extra money to enjoy and cover some of the expenses of life.

Shar has dreamed of the day that Blake could leave with me in the truck and go to tree job, although when the opportunity came the protective and worried mom quickly came back to the surface.  Blake had his first tree job 2 weeks ago.  We trimmed 4 red oaks and cleaned the base of 3 pine trees at some friends house in Colleyville.  I told Blake that I would pay him if he worked hard and Shar told him to eat his snacks that she packed for him.  8 years of tree trimming and I have never had snacks packed for me, but that is another topic.

Blake did a great job.  We worked Sunday afternoon from 1:30 until 6.  He took several breaks but did a great job stacking the fire wood and dragging limbs to the pile.  I was so very proud of how he worked, and we would take breaks to discuss how important work is and how hard work will build big muscles and teach us important lessons for life.  About 10% of what I say sinks in I think.  

The problem came when Mrs. Nancy came to pay me and went to Blake first, and stuck some folded dollars into his front pocket.  I tried to decline but Blake and Mrs. Nancy both ignored me.  The boy got $10.00!!!  I was blown away and he thought he had won the jackpot.  Upon our arrival at home he showed mom his new fortune, and Shar quickly asked what dad had paid him?  Blake and Shar both looked at me and I already knew the battle was lost.  Two crisp $1.00 bills were added to his winnings, and Blake went to show his sister, who really did not know what Blake had but she was happy for him just the same.

Blake has received his first paycheck, and he is already itching for more.  I will need to prepare for the greed and stewardship talks and make sure that each word sinks in, since only 10% will be actually heard.  Wish us luck.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You and Blake both did a great job and we're enjoying the beautiful, clean look of our newly trimmed trees! I'm so glad to be Blake's first paying customer - he was a real trooper and earned every penny. Thanks so much for your hard work,
Mrs. Nancy