Monday, March 02, 2009

Yes.

Yes we are busy and burning the candle at both ends, but it is fun. 

Last week the Invisible Children came to our school.  This is a relief effort for children in Uganda who are being abducted to fight in a civil war.  The tragedy that is actively taking place is too much for me to discuss.  I was introduced to the Invisible Children while at Belton in 2003 and I was so glad to hear they were coming to Keller.  I took my classes to the hour long assembly and my kids, along with all that were present were astonished at what is happening in the world that goes unmentioned.  If you are wanting to be active in a world wide effort to save the children of Uganda then I would encourage you to look into Invisible Children.  

Something cool happened while I was at the Invisible Children assembly.  The kids that were sharing with our school are between 18 and 25.  The home base in out of Southern California, and knowing that I asked this Invisible Children Roadie where he was from.  His answer of San Diego caught my attention since I am from that area also.  Turns out this guy was from Oceanside, which is about twenty minutes from my home.  At this point in the conversation I consider this guy my brother, besides the fact that he is short and black, because we are both SoCal boys stuck in Texas, which I do love.  But the story gets better.  Oceanside is a military town and knowing this I ask if his family was in the military.  He said his dad was in the Navy, and my dad was in the Navy, (we are brothers by this point).  I asked what his dad did and guess what???  his dad was a Corpsman just like my dad!!!!!  That is when we hugged.  It was wild having the conversation with my new friend, who is 24 years old (I am so old) Rory.  If you know me very well then you can already guess that I asked for and received his dads name and phone number and will be passing it along to Don (dad) this week.  Crazy little world we live in.

More to come later.

2 comments:

Kelly Sessions said...

byron...I actually almost joined IC right after college...they had an HR position but the cost of moving and living in SA was too much for what the position offered. I have a college friend that has been working for them for about 2 years.

I LOVE IC!! Anyway, just thought I'd comment on the post. I actually have a few friends that are marine officers and live in oceanside. We visited them a few summers ago...Cali is Beautiful!

J-Wild said...

IC was the best thing I have ever done with my YG kids.

Your story of meeting your new "brother" is just fantastic. Love it. Hey I am winnowing down a book for us.....!