Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

Another day to remember the brave men and women who have given their lives in order to defend and honor the country that we get to live in has come and gone. I am appreciative of those whom have served our country in the military and proud that I have family members on both sides of the family that are proud veterans.

I was impressed this year at how many various and random forms of respect and acknowledgement for those in the military I saw this year. Radio announcements, billboards on the highway, the preacher at church, signs and flags draping the streets of Keller. Even Google had a message across the base of their home page remembering this day. It is good to see effort placed on honoring and remembering this day.

But I am still bothered by the idea that I like some many others did not offer the thanks for this day that it actually deserves. Memorial Day like most other holidays and significant events really come and go quickly for the masses and only have real meaning for those who are somehow tied to the day. Although the above stated is somewhat morbid and unhappy it is true, for myself included. The truth is that there are no World War 1 United States Veterans living and the large population of World War 2 Veterans is shrinking quickly. There will come a time when Korea and Vietnam are ancient wars and the men that fought will be ancient themselves. This is the reality of life, and the truth of sacrifice. There are men and women who died serving our country who I will never even have an idea about, and yet I live under the umbrella of freedom that they provided. It is because of that fact that I chose to shake the hands of random soldiers and express my small and insignificant gratitude one more time.

Thanks and appreciation go to you Dad, and Jim Venigoni, Jim McKinny, Eddie Lester, Bob McQueen, Seth Simmons and Henry Browning. John Dewar and Chad Williamson and the many others that I know personally and cannot recall at this time.

No comments: