Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Golf.

It is just something that the guys in my family do. From the earliest memories I have of family vacations, we always traveled with my dad's golf clubs. If my papa (dad's dad) went then we traveled with his clubs also and when I got into high school my clubs went along. Golf has always been a part of my life.

So we always had plenty of golf clubs, and good ones too for a middle income family who did not have money to join a country club and never really got fitted for the equipment that we had. My first set of clubs were Cougars, but my dad and papa always played Ping Irons for as long as I can remember. And a set of Pings is not something that you get rid of so when my dad found a new to him set he kept the old ones. Ping Karstens to Ping I's, to Ping I 2's, to Copper Ping I 2's to Ping Zing and then finally I got my own set of clubs. When I finished college and got married my dad had me fitted for my Ping I 3's which are my current set of clubs. I was measured and fit for the angle of the hozzle and the length and strength of the shaft and still play the same clubs. In golf years 10 years is a long time but since I am not going pro any time soon I will remain happy with my irons.

When we lived in Austin my dad took me to the Golf Smith there in Round Rock bought me a new driver, which was a brand new 2 year old Ping TISI. On sale for $99.00. I loved and hit it well or well for me for the past 1o years, but technology has come so far and I made the mistake of getting my swing looked at by the pro at Edwin Watts and that is how I got to where I am. The proud but poor owner of a brand spanking new Ping G15 Driver and 3 Wood. 9 degree driver with a Serrano stiff shaft, low torque high kick point which is more that any of you care about.

Now I am just waiting to hit the darn thing. Come on summer vacation.

Oh bye the way, this is the first golf club I have ever bought for myself. Up to now my golf equipment has been funded by my father. Now I am on my own, but dad did mention getting Blake a set of clubs this summer so I assume he is still financially invested in the family addiction.

No comments: