Sunday, May 16, 2010

My Day.

Random things that happened to me and the family today. Worth remembering to me.

1. Typical Sunday morning, getting the kids fed and out the door for church. No traffic on 377 which is a sign from God that the day will be special

2. Great lesson from Rick. He pulls the scripture apart and gives you reason to study on your own. Peter's calling and the fish and net story. Greatness.

3. Bible class was good, but I was zoned out. Kevin taught on James 4:17 which is a great verse but I was not fully there. Cory Rogers lead the closing prayer which was really long, but he called on God to heal many hurting people.

4. Home for a fast lunch and then off to swim lessons. Yes swim lessons on Sunday. A girl from one of my classes, Jamie, is a swimmer for the high school and her mom is the coach and she is letting us take swim lessons. Blake is doing good and learning to breath on his side. Anna cried the whole time. Jamie would say "let's wipe the tears off 1, 2, 3" and then she would dunk Anna. I loved it.

5. From swim lessons we went to Wal Mart. Nothing good to report.

6. From Wal Mart we went to Cost Co which is our new favorite place. We bargain shop and eat samples and have a great time. Easily spent and hour and a half there.

7. Treats at Cost Co are fun. We got a churro and a swirled yogurt. When we were in line for our snacks an older man in clean jeans, a nice western button down and nice straw cowboy hat came in line behind us. Blake starred at his hat and I killed the silence by informing the gentleman that my son thinks cowboys are cool. His reply was "I used to be a pretty tough cowboy but now I am all worn out." We ordered or snacks and moved toward the registrar and the cowboy ordered his berry smoothie and came in behind us. I caught the man off guard when I bought his drink for him. He put is dollar away, we shook hands and Blake and I headed back toward Shar and Anna at our table. The man headed for his cart, and the pushed it toward us while removing his wallet from his front shirt pocket. I assumed he was wanting to repay me, but instead he came to Blake and said "I want to show you something." That is when he flashed his Texas Ranger Badge. A real Texas Ranger!!! We chatted for a few minutes and then parted ways. I have never met a Texas Ranger until today, and this old man was not anywhere near worn out.

8. From Cost Co we just had to stop by South Lake Town Center because Shar just might have to find some great deal. We left there after only spending twenty minutes and 10 bucks so I call that a victory.

9. Home to rest, mow the yard, do some laundry. Shar is working on end of year stuff for the pre school and the kids were mainly outside with me. Blake has a self propelled mower so he feels that he is mowing the yard with me. It keeps him entertained for about 20 minutes or so and he likes working with me. HOPE that will continue through the years.

10. At 6 pm I told the kids we were going for snow cones. I thought it was more like 4. Shar said no snow cones before dinner, the kids looked at me expecting me to back down to the GREAT AND MIGHTY MOM while hoping I would just this once stand my ground. Well I did and we left for snow cones but I told those kids that if they didn't eat dinner when we got home then the wrath of dad would be upon them. It worked.

11. While at the snow cone shop Blake noticed a Vietnam Veteran hat on an older gentleman. Retired Air Force. We talked at the table while the kids ate their snow cones. He enlisted in '62 and got out in '82. I told him about my dad and he informed me that he had a son that was a Marine and they felt very fond of the Corpsmen from the Navy. It was then that I asked were his son was stationed. The man dropped his head and quietly said that his son had been killed in Afghanistan. I apologized for his loss and shook his hand and his next comment really caught me. "These things happen to soldiers." This dad who had seen war himself had a perfect understanding of the situation his son was in and the pain was more than he could bare at the moment. Our conversation ended and we left.

12. We got home and the kids ate there dinner and all was well.

13. Showers and off to bed. Anna begged me for a "Princess Anna" story and I came up with a great one about The Dark Cannon and The Blake Smoke (Lost) and how the faithful horse of Princess Anna, Sunshine had been taken to The Dark Cannon. Anna loves the stuff I make up. Story time is fun.

14. And now I sit here, beat after another long and fast weekend. This will be our last week of Spring Ball and school is winding up quickly. I am wondering how I am going to teach history for the next few weeks without boring my kids to sleep. We shall see.

Have a great week.

No comments: