Tuesday, May 06, 2008

"The Shack"

I have to tell you that I hate to read, especially books.  I can't explain to you how little reading I did in my educational career.  The few books that caught my attention in college were related directly to a course I was taking and even then I skimmed the book at best.  

But now I have turned to a new page in my life and I enjoy reading, really good book.  The first book I loved, and read as an adult, recently was called The Road  by Cormac McCarthy. Great book, but dark and gloomy and difficult to enjoy.  "The Road" has been made into a film and is due to be released in November of this year.  The second book, which was given to me on Thursday afternoon and was finished Monday at lunch (I just could not put it down) was "The Shack" by William P. Young.

I know that my words do not carry much weight in the world, but let me please beg you to read this book.  Read it and cry like I did.  That is the honest truth.  I sat there in our big chair in the living room and cried as I tried to turn the pages.  It was so easy to be in this book.

This is a "God Book".  It is called Christian Fiction, and it wrestles with man's view, understanding and relationship with God, Jesus and the Spirit.  It deals with broken people, tragedy, family, and a healing that can only come through God.  Please go to the web site, or here and buy this book.  

I would really like to hear from those that read "The Shack".  Please, at any time comment on any post and let me know how this book open your eyes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you'd also like a book called "same kind of different as me" by ron hall and denver moore. it's a true story, most of it took place in fort worth. it's a fast and easy read.

--kelli

Kelly Sessions said...

Hey, funny story...This past sunday at Western Hills I was walkin down the hall and Blake, Anna Jo and Rae White were takin their toys back to the classroom...and I said hi to all of them by their names, and asked about their toys...and blake says (screamed really) "She is NOT MY SISTER (ref. to rae) ANNA is!" It sounded like he thought of Rae as his girl or something...Byron...you're training that boy way too early!! haha it was pretty funny!

mdlg said...

I guess I have to go buy a book.